In line with the transition to living with COVID-19, the DfE has updated its guidance for attendance during this academic year.
The usual rules on attendance continue to apply, including:
- Attendance is mandatory
- Parents’ duty to ensure that their child attends regularly at school
- School’s responsibilities to record attendance and follow up absence
- The ability to issue sanctions
- The duty on local authorities to put in place arrangements for identifying, and to follow up with, children missing education
Pupils who have symptoms or a positive test for COVID-19:
- Pupils with symptoms of COVID-19 are no longer advised to get a test.
- Pupils who have symptoms of COVID-19 should follow the latest government guidance about when they should stay at home.
- We will aim to provide some form of remote education to allow children who are well enough to learn to keep pace with their education when in-person attendance in school is either not possible or contrary to government guidance.